Cookies ussage consent
Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing our site without changing the browser settings you grant us permission to store that information on your device.I agree, do not show this message again.
L. H. KAMARUDIN1,2, M. N. H. JAMALUDDIN1,2, S. N. F. AZHAN3, M. S. BAHARI4, M. Z. ZULKIFLI1,2,*
- Advanced Photonics Devices Research Laboratory, Department of Physics, Kulliyyah of Science, International Islamic University of Malaysia, Bandar Indera Mahkota, 25200 Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia
- Biophotonics Research Unit, Department of Physics, Kulliyyah of Science, International Islamic University of Malaysia, Bandar Indera Mahkota,
- School of Chemical and Energy Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), 81310 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering Technology, Pauh Putra Campus, Universiti Malaysia Perlis (UniMAP), 02600 Arau, Perlis, Malaysia
Optical microfibers are being widely used in a vast numbers of sensing applications especially for liquid concentration. Although the flame brushing technique is the most common method used in fabricating an optical microfiber, this experiment proposed an easy and low cost designed taper machine with only single stretch linear stage. This technique has proven to be able to design a specific liquid ethanol concentration sensor from an adiabatic microfiber with low loss, high sensitivity and great repeatability sensor. The experiment results demonstrated the adiabatic microfiber structure with approximate 20μm waist diameter with transmission loss less than 3 dBm and achieved to obtain high sensitivity, 0.1932 dBm/% ranging from 70% to 0% of ethanol concentration in distilled water. Despite the vast number of reported research studies in microfiber size and sensitivity, repeatability tests are rarely reported. The study of repeatability in our paper demonstrated a high repeatability result with 0.401 dBm per number of tests. The robustness criteria show by the sensor granting a high advantage in commercializing for various liquid concentration sensor and refractive index measurement..
Microfiber, Tapered fiber, Adiabatic, Ethanol.
Submitted at: Feb. 10, 2022
Accepted at: Dec. 6, 2022
L. H. KAMARUDIN, M. N. H. JAMALUDDIN, S. N. F. AZHAN, M. S. BAHARI, M. Z. ZULKIFLI, High repeatability adiabatic microfiber sensor in ethanol detection, Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials Vol. 24, Iss. 11-12, pp. 509-515 (2022)
- Download Fulltext
- Downloads: 1 (from 1 distinct Internet Addresses ).